Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Boy Who Heard Music - Chapter 4 - Thumbnail

"I Heard Voices"

In the 1975 wing of the story within a story, Josh, the one who "hears voices," has his Bar Mitzvah. During the service, he sings to God that he will become a poet.

Meanwhile, we learn more about Leila's background. Her mother dies in 1967 when she is three. She worships her father Damoo who lives with his strict Muslim mother in a house on the Hillcrest Road. At an early age, Leila discovers that she can fly.

Ray, meanwhile, revels in his love for Abba's hit song "S.O.S.," recalls his first trip to India to meet his guru Bollo about whom he wrote a Rolling Stone magazine cover story in 1975, discusses reincarnation and the religions that arose in the mountains of Persia and India.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike S said...

Thanks for thumbnailing and
summarizing the plots,Brian.
I'm less confused now and
more in tune.


Mike S

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Just what I needed: Cliff Notes!
Thanks Brian :-)

10:21 AM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Bless you my friend. Lucky buck is right. Cliff Notes! AH!
But why is Ray able to ponder the story? Isn't the ether between heaven and earth? Is he fixed there alive? Dead? He never knows how old he is, I thought that was because he not of human form any longer?
HELP!

11:58 AM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

he's (English is my first language, I promise)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Brian in Atlanta said...

I think Ray's supposed to be still alive in 2035 ("Stay Alive in 2035!" - we should have T-shirts printed...).

BTW, I think Pete will certainly live into his ninties. That's so he can endure another thirty years of people saying, "I thought you were the guy that wrote, 'Hope I Die Before I Get Old' What happened?"

12:09 PM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

He must live!!!
The way I see it, as long as The Who, The Stones, even relative younsters, U2, and David Bowie are still out there rockin' then we stay young too...the rock and roll fountain of youth..
I love seeing the stones and Bruce and Bowie in concert because while I'm singing and dancing , I'm that "girl" again.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hi Brian,
thanks for the plot summaries. Those of us afflicted with A.D.D. sure do appreciate the handy reminders of what we were reading a week ago. You are indeed a blessing to the Swiss-cheesed brain. :)

-Anne-Marie

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home