Sunday, January 08, 2006

Keith Moon died of heroin overdose?

In the cover story of the Feb. 2006 issue of Mojo, Pete Townshend says this:
...I'm not sure it was the heroin overdose that killed him or the steak he ate first thing in the morning. (p.73)

Now, as you fellow Whostorians know, the medical examiner stated the cause of Keith's death was from an overdose of Hemineverin tablets, 26 undissolved ones in his stomach out of 32 and a test of his bloodstream showed a "minimal" amount of alcohol present.

So I would be inclined to think that Pete or the interviewer made a mistake except that I was talking to a Who insider just two days before who also insisted he was told several years ago that Keith was known to have been on heroin the last six months of his life.

Why would this have only come out now? Why would the test of his bloodstream not shown the presence of opiates (tell me a rock star dies young and the medical examiner doesn't test for opiates). Could the official result been suppressed but why? And, if Pete knew about this, why would he sit on the information throughout his anti-heroin campaign of the mid-1980's?

I've got feelers out to those in the know to see if they've heard anything but this makes no sense to me at all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brian -- I read the interview for the first time last night, and I'm inclined to think it was either bad transcribing or bad editing. I don't know how exactly to pronounce Hemenivirin, but it seems close enough to 'heroin', and an entry-level copywriter at the magazine might not have known better. Just a thought.

Keep writing, we'll keep reading --

w

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home